Tuesday, September 13, 2016

School is Cool! ( Top 5 Things I Realized As An Adult Student)


I almost feel like I need a Pete the Cat with his cool blue magic sunglasses on this post... it's just been that kind of week. (image: HaperCollins)


As I had mentioned earlier I will probably posting a little more sporadically online over then next little while. I would really like to have the time to do it all but this blog and my sanity are priorities that I don't want to skimp on. So I'm not posting total rubbish I will be posting an average of 3 times a week, and until I get settled in my schedule I am not guaranteeing which days that will be.

Week one was great... I have homework (that I'm stressing about) because I can't get one of the books till next week, but other than that I've really enjoyed all my classes so far. I have realized it's really different going back to school in my 30's.

Now it's kind of funny. Most of the kids in my class don't seem to realize that I'm almost *cough* 35 *cough*... but seriously I don't care. I have never been shy about my age. I guess I'm just a cool and hip 35 year old... hahahahahaha *SNARF*. Whatever the reason I have managed to already meet some pretty cool people who are just as excited (and nervous) as I am. So I thought I'd do a top 5 (or something) things that I've realized as a returning student.


THINGS THAT YOU REALIZE AS A RETURNING STUDENT!!!!!!

1)  Your self worth is not tied up in your marks.
          Being you have lived a whole life without getting graded you now can settle into your classes easier because you know you are successful with or without school. You have already proven you can live, that you have friends and family, and that a number isn't going to get you a job.

2)  Grades are only as important as what you want to do with them.
          Sure, grades are important. You don't want to fail and have to repeat a class... you also don't need to kill yourself over the difference between an 85 and an 87. If you know your stuff then show it, if you don't then study. It sounds pretty easy, but after school (unless you are continuing with Masters, PhD's and Graduate Programs) no one cares about your grade number. All they want to know is that you have the little piece of paper.

3)  Teachers are people.
          If you are having an issue, TALK TO YOUR TEACHER. If you are loving your class, Tell your teacher. If there is something you don't understand, Ask your teacher. They are just people. They aren't there to try and fail you. They want you to succeed. They also want to go home to their family at the end of the night and not stress about rude or disruptive students. So be nice to your teacher, they are just people like you.

4)  Do your work... read the book... go to class.
         There's one this I've noticed with all the classes I've attended. All the teachers keep saying "Go To Class". I have to admit, when I was in University I was terrible for attending classes some days. I think it was the fact that I hadn't really found the thing that really interested me so I was mostly going through the motions. Now as an adult I WANT to learn the stuff they are teaching so I'm making an extra effort to read the stuff and get things done!

5)  There is always someone better than you, don't stress about it... use it!
         When I did University and afterwards I was fairly defeated. I came out of school with a giant debt, and no real hireable skills (at least I didn't think they were). I ended up in offices and working as assistants using skills I learnt in one single class mainly. Part of my issue what the feeling that there were so many amazing artists in my courses that I just wasn't good enough to make a living at it. I felt that my skills were lacking and my vision wasn't as important. Now that I'm a little older I know that even in the most saturated market there is room for you! You may not have all the skills someone else has but that's okay. It takes all kinds of people to make a business run and there's no reason you can't find like minded people (in the world, in your course, in the inter-verse) that can help you reach those goals and dreams. You aren't good at drawing but great at colour... then find someone who's the opposite of you to team up with... there's always a way around it. No business is run by a single person filling all the shoes.

So I hope this eases some people stresses. If not I wish you luck in all things school related!!

Until next time.
Keep on, Geekin' on.
Sylvanfire

No comments:

Post a Comment