Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Huntsman: Winter's War


So last week (before Captain America came out) my husband and I had a lovely date night... and randomly went to see Huntsman: Winter's War. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. (image: Property of Universal)

To start I will say I am going to try and keep this big spoiler free... but I'm not sure if you will figure some of it out. So instead I will give the SPOILERS warning just in case.

I don't know how many of you have watched the first Snow White and the Huntsman movie !?! That was one of those movies I was expecting good things from and came out slightly dissappointed. I found Kristen Stewart a little down and depressing  (which has never been my view of Snow White) and so I didn't enjoy it as much.

So to start off with, I went into this movie expecting a prequel and not really sure how to take that. I wasn't going in with high hopes, I went in wanting a fun action movie with good action scenes. Instead I got a lot more than that.

The movie isn't a straight prequel (which is why I think the tag line is misleading), instead it's a Pre-Sequel. Okay I just made that up but it's the best way I can describe it. It starts as a prequel... but a prequel to the Queens and the Huntsman, not Snow White... and ends as a sequel to the Snow White and the Huntsman Movie. Confused?? Well, some of it may be a little confusing but I think most people can get the idea... they even have the big "7 YEARS LATER" tag under the split.

The movie did not fail to deliver a bunch of good action sequences where you think "Wow, they are really going to do that?" and the movie answers "That was a really dumb idea". Which totally made me snarff.

What surprised me was that the Huntsman was actually a love story... that took me off guard at the beginning. Luckily my husband isn't the type to make a big deal about a love story in the middle of the action (instead I'm the one that usually complains). It was a love story about Mom and Child. Husband and Wife. Sister and Sister. The big part of the whole thing was that is was a commentary on trust, blind trust, acceptance and independance.

So if you want a funny, but at times a little mushy, love story that has all the action you could ask for (some of the fight scenes were awesome) then this is for you. As an added bonus to the whole thing there are some freaking amazing costumes in this movie and I SO want to make Charlize Theron's costume at the end for a Con sometime. I think people would get it.

Universal
Did you see it? What did you think?

Until next time.
Keep on, Geekin' on.
Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment