Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Adjustments to a dress with Pinterest!

So today I've spent most of my day trying to figure out how to adjust a dress I made for Halloween last year (well really my mom did most or all of the sewing) because I love it and it doesn't fit. But I don't want to take it out and resew it! This is the CHALLENGE!!! (title pic by me... I've been playing with Photoshop some more lol)


I thought I'm probably not the only one who has a dress that's too big and cute but doesn't want to pull out the seems to resew the whole thing (mostly 'cause I'm lazy and worried I'd ruin it). So instead I was looking at options I can do to make it appear fitted without touching a needle to the actual dress. Some sewing may be required on other items....

Pinterest
So I started with the idea of a bolero jacket of some sort. This would be cute but totally hide the fit in the underarms and around the chest area. I think this one is stunning! But my issue is that the dress then still seems too big and needs some sort of sinching in the middle.

Pinterest
So then next I thought of the idea of adding a sweater or jacket or shirt that would be slightly smaller to bring in the waist a little bit while also hiding any of the imperfections at the top of the dress. This so far is my best option. I actually own a few jackets that could work and a sweater or two that are cropped where they wrap and tie at the back.

Here's a quick little no sew tank crop shirt that could totally work. Now that I've seen this I have a whole bunch of other ideas (may have to search my shirts to see what may work!

Pinterest
Another option I thought of was a sweater or shirt and a belt. My only issue is I don't have a belt nearly this cute and wide... and I don't want to spend any money.

Pinterest
So my final idea is some sort of wrap or Obi. What's awesome with this is you can use a scarf, a long piece of material or if you want to get fancy you can actually sew one (there are a few tutorials out there for easy wraps). I am actually debating on using a sheet I have to make one... just haven't decided fully yet.

Here's a pic of the dress (the sash around the waist isn't the right colour for what I need and is now too big as well... also don't mind the blurry pic of me and my husband).
So what do you think? I'm thinking of either the Obi sash (I keep wanting to call it an Obi-wan) or the DIY crop shirt wrap thingy.

Until next time.
Keep on, Geekin' on.
Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment