Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Wicked Finds: Design Miami 2015


So I was trolling all my favourite sites and I've found some slightly different than our usual geekery. I was planning a series of cool things to buy, but instead I came across an amazing art exhibit that I felt needed sharing... because seriously some things are just too awesome to buy. (image: DeZeen)


Originally found on Nerd Approved I found some amazing hanging chairs! I know... you are thinking "Seriously? Hanging chairs!" But I totally mean it. Mind you these are not for sale (so much sad) instead they were created by a designer named Porky Hefer (I know, it's quite a name) who created these amazing spectacles for Design Miami 2015, the series is aptly named Monstera Deliciosa. You totally have to see them to believe them...

Source: DeZeen Magazine

Source: DeZeen Magazine
These are part of a series of 7 different entries... all animal based! They include a Whale, a Pelican, a Puffer Fish, a Manta Ray, a Crocodile, and an angler Fish, and a strange four legged creature. Some were made of leather sewn together but others (no pictured) were woven with Kooboo cane. They are quite impressive. To see them all you can check out DeZeen's article, they have some wonderful pictures.

Well, upon finding these wonderful finds I decided to indulge my artist heart and see what other inspirational pieces may have come out of this Design Miami 2015.

What is Design Miami? Well, I didn't know either so here's what they have to say about themselves.

Design Miami/ is the global forum for design. Each fair brings together the most influential collectors, gallerists, designers, curators and critics from around the world in celebration of design culture and commerce. Occurring alongside the Art Basel fairs in Miami, USA each December and Basel, Switzerland each June, Design Miami/ has become the premier venue for collecting, exhibiting, discussing and creating collectible design.

Design Miami/ is more than a marketplace for design, where the world’s top galleries gather to present museum-quality exhibitions of twentieth and twenty-first century furniture, lighting and objets d’art. Each show balances exclusive commercial opportunities with progressive cultural programming, creating exciting collaborations with designers and design institutions, panels and lectures with luminaries from the worlds of design, architecture, art and fashion, and unique commissions from the world’s top emerging and established designers and architects.

By continuously expanding and enriching its program, Design Miami/ seeks to not only satisfy the demand for a high-end design fair, but also to broaden awareness of modern and contemporary design, fuel the market for collectible design, and provide an exciting yet accessible destination for collectors and enthusiasts alike.  Source: Design Miami

Okay I know it's a little long, but it sure is interesting.  I've always loved world and cultural art and this is right up there! Here's another really interesting pieces that is included in the exhibitions.

The image at the top of the page is of the entrance pavilion. This is a temporary structure built by a group from the Harvard Graduate school of Design. Here is a close up:

Source: DeZeen
Called Unbuilt, the pavilion consists of a grid of poles supporting upside down models of student work from the school's architecture, landscape architecture, urban design, and planning programmes. Source: DeZeen

I for one think this is amazing. I'm sure it's even move impressive in person, but being I live no where close to Miami the pictures will have to suffice for me. I am facinated to see all the different designs that were incorporated, creating the abstract space that it appears to be. I guess the team recieved nearly 200 projects from fellow Harvard students (which have been fabricated in foam). There's nothing like community and cooperative art to make the spirit happy.

If you want to check out more I'd suggest going to DeZeen Magazine and searching Design Miami (here's a link for the search). All the pieces that have been included are so facinatingly interesting that you could spend a fair amount of time oogling them (or at least I could). I'd love to hear what you think of the different pieces!

Until next time.
Keep on, Geekin' on.
Angie



No comments:

Post a Comment