Friday, December 11, 2015

Christmas Geeky Creations


It's finally hit that time... a few weeks before christmas and I'm looking for a simple craft to make for all my friends cards. I know I know... I probably should have started a few weeks (months) ago but I didn't. So here's a collection of some of the things I've found... or used in the past. (image: done by me!)

So to start off let's talk about salt dough.... now there are a variety of recipes out there but the one I've used a few years running is:

2 Cups of Flour
1 Cup of Salt
1 Cup of warm water

Then food colouring and paint as you like for decorating.

This year I've made some beautiful pink (You know I have daughters... the picture's at the top of the post) decorations to give and hang on our tree. I used Food Colouring to change the colour and it's really simple. My trick... put the colour in the water before you add it. Then you get really awesome consistency for the colour, and less mess (I tried the other way, adding it after the dough was made, and stained my hands red. I'm sure people thought I was a weirdo picking up my oldest from school with dark red hands lol). Now remember... the water is diluted so you need to add a lot to the water so that it gets a nice colour when mixed with the dough. (I guess you can always add more later too). Then all I did was roll it out and give the kids a pile of cookie cutters. I am now the proud owner of a few dinosaur ornaments, a puppy and I think even a bat. (Yes, use the Halloween cutters at Christmas!)

The trick is to bake them at 200 degrees for 2 to 6 hours. Now if you are like me and have little kids that want them out of the oven before bed time, then take them out at the 2 hour mark. They may still seem a little soft but the will finish air drying over night.

You can then let the cool and decorate. For little kids use glitter glue pens or markers (they last pretty great), for older ones feel free to break out the paints. And now you are done... you can always spray varnish them if you want but it's not necessary. 

This year I've now made some salt dough ornaments (may have to make some blue ones as well... I may try black lol), but I managed to find some felt and have been thinking about making some geeky felt ornaments as well. So where do I go for inspiration?? Well, Pinterest of course. Here's a few I found.

Pinterest
Pinterest
Pinterest
I think all of these are absolutely adorable and need to be made for my... I mean my friend's trees. There's nothing like a geeky Christmas ornament to let friends know you love them. All the links are under to pictures to the pinterest post and they link properly back to the original. So you should have no problem finding them. I'm gonna keep adding more so if you want to check out my pinterest (Sylvanfire) they are all under the holiday stuff.

What have you been making?? Let me know!!

Until next time!
Keep on, Geekin' on.
Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment