Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Remembrance Day

Oky... my life totally got in the way and I blanked completely on Monday's post! As much as I want to make it up to you today is Remembrance Day and I feel that we need to take the time to thank those who have stood in, or around the line of fire. (image: Kevin Peter [I believe the image is from somewhere else but this is where I found it])

I have been lucky enough to have a few friends (close and otherwise) who served with our Canadian Military. Most have been luck and have seen minimal to no action. Those that have served and seen action managed to walk away (or at least be removed from the scene) and live wonderful lives with their families... which I am even more greatful for.

Through poking around sites including the Legion and Veterans Affairs I discovered the origins of Remembrance Day. I know we were all taught about it in school but I have never discovered why it is when it is. From what I've read Remembrance Day started on November 11th 1918, the final day of World War I, the war to end all wars. This was originally called Armistice Day to commemorate the Armistice Agreement, but was later changed to Remembrance day.

I will be straight, I don't care about the stuff from the legion about proper ways to wear the poppy. I don't care about any of that. What I care about is that you honour, in the best way you can, those that lived and died in any War, Battle or Skirmish, those that served our country and those that kept us safe. In Canada we are lucky enough to have people to Volunteer for these services. We don't currently have conscription, and most of our Men and Women are sent oversees to help others.

Vimy Ridge History

So do what you can. Thank a Veteran. I know I will.

For more Geeky Stuff stay tuned tomorrow. I will try and make up for my missing Monday LOL.

Until next time,
Keep on, Geekin' on.
Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment