Friday, October 16, 2015

Cosplay Fabrics... but I live in Canada


So I was looking through Fashionably Geek (as that's something I do fairly regularly) and what do I find? An amazing product of Cosplay specific fabrics that are being created in concert with Yaya Han, Jo-Ann's Fabric Store and Cosplay Fabrics. (image: Cosplay Fabrics Facebook)

We've all been there. Scouring row after row of the fabric store for the right fabric and coming up empty handed. If you create your own Cosplay you will know this hardship and the frustration involved in trying to find the right thing.

I have never been one to buy fabric off of the internet. This is partially because I'm lazy and also because I never really know what type of fabric I need until I'm looking through the store. I want to know if it stretches or stays in one place. I want to feel how heavy or hot or light the fabric is. I also want to be able to put the fabric up to the light so that I'm not going to look nude once I'm dressed and it's slightly stretched. (knock on wood that this hasn't happened yet)

No, online fabric shopping is a scary venture. It involves a lot of trust in the site to show you the accurate product and colour variation.

Another issue I have with online fabric purchases is that I tend to buy local. If I can support someone in my own community to make a living I will. If I have to get stuff off the internet then I will, but I usually do a fair amount of research before purchasing.

Source: Cosplay Fabrics Facebook

Anywho, this new venture of Yaya is SO EXCITING. The Press release states:
The Cosplay Fabrics product lineup includes materials such as 4-way Stretch Spandex and 4-way Jumbo Spandex in a wide variety of colors and materials perfect for cosplay creations. Some of the unique coatings available on these stretch materials will be options such as foil and PU leather — perfect materials for creating the next superhero, science-fiction and fantasy characters. The line will also include elaborate brocade and coutil fabrics, perfect for popular Victorian and steampunk designs, as well as novelty fabrics for armor and more… (Fashionably Geek)
 These sound amazing. The catch? There isn't any Jo-Ann's Fabric Stores in Canada.

I've googled and even looked on their site and no matter what I will need to either purchase online (which I dread) or go for a trip to the States (which I haven't done in a long long time). So it looks like I may have to dust off my passport and get ready for a trip in the spring, because these items are supposed to be released in Spring 2016! 

So look Jo-Ann's Fabrics... the Canadians may have to go on a road trip.

Until next time.
Keep on, Geekin' on.
Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment