Thursday, August 27, 2015

5 Positive Reasons to Cosplay

 
The first thing people always assume about cosplayers is that they are a huge nerd. Guess what? They are probably right, but that doesn’t define the person’s entire being. I’m still extremely new to cosplay, but I can already see the positive impact it has had on my life. My family and friends have been very supportive in my interest in this hobby/lifestyle, and a lot of them have also commented what a difference they have seen since I made the decision to start cosplaying. Today is the last day I will be guest blogging for Sylvanfire. I thought I would leave you with five positive things that have been a result of cosplay in my life.


1. Confidence

Turns out, nerds are pretty awkward and self-conscious. Cosplay has been a huge confidence boost for me. Being in front of video cameras and giving presentations at work is not as hard as it once was. On a grander, more important scale, making decisions for my own sake has become much easier. It’s funny, but by becoming someone else I have become bold enough to be who I want to be in this world.

2. Ambition

The last thing anyone wants is to be stuck in a life that they don’t love, where they don’t have a reason to wake up in the morning. I have found that cosplay makes me want to continue to grow as a person and constantly keep moving forward. 

3. Happiness

There are so many different ways that cosplay brings happiness to my life. I often get homesick living so far away from my family (South Carolina is twelve hours from my hometown in Indiana). Projects help me keep focused when I’m feeling lonely. I was just reminded of this when my dad called a few moments ago, and I could go back to focusing on this blog post. Another time I find I am happiest is when I am giving back to others, and cosplay has allowed me to do this. I have been fortunate enough to bring smiles to kids and adults at conventions, as well as children at the local children’s hospital. It is hard not to smile when you know you’ve made even the smallest difference to make someone else’s day better.

4. Acceptance

Cosplay is for everyone. That is the cardinal rule for cosplayers everywhere. This has helped me to not only accept who I am and what I want to be, but it has also helped me learn to be a better person. Everyone who does cosplay does it first and foremost because they have fun doing it, and it has helped me learn to see things for real and not just at the surface.

5. Passion

This goes right next to ambition. I am an engineer, but I am also very creative. That creative side can sometimes get suffocated by the pressures of work and day to day life. Cosplay has lit a fire that I have yet to be able to snuff out. I love that I have found something that I look forward to every day.

Thank you so much for having me this month. My parting wish to all of you is that you find something that gives you the same joy as cosplay does for me. Don’t forget to check out my own website and blog! You can also find me on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Pinterest as Sadie by Design.

www.sadiebydesign.com

No comments:

Post a Comment