Thursday, June 4, 2015

Sister Act Remake: Why??



I think this is the year of 90's remakes that don't need to be remade. The latest movie on the chopping block... Sister Act.
All I have to say is "Why?"? Why do we need to remake everything that we loved as a kid.  So far it feels like there are very few things that are sacred. We butchered the remake of Footloose. They are thinking of seriously doing a remake of the Craft (and you all know how I feel about that), there have been talks of remaking Hackers (which could have possibilities) and now they are thinking of remaking Sister Act.

Sister Act was a staple in my house. We knew all the songs and most of the dance moves. Everyone wanted to be in a choir like that. I loved singing, but most church choirs were SOOOOO boring. Sister Act made it fun again. It made singing in a choir seem less like heirarchy of favourites and more like a group that seriously loved what they are doing.

Now I know I'm being a neigh sayer and there are some positive things. The writers are a female duo - Kirsten “Kiwi” Smith and Karen McCullah - who are known for Legally Blonde and Elle Enchanted. Both movies that are on my repeat over and over again movie list. They are two of my top movies that I watch any time I'm feeling a little down.

There's an amazing female producer, Allison Shearmur, known for the Disney live version of Cinderella. I think the portrayal of her as a stronger character was very cool, so there is some hope there too.

Finally, there is no writing anywhere that states this is a full on remake. There is a chance that this will be something new or at least something more modern. So I guess I can give it a chance. But seriously do we have no original ideas left in the brains of Man??

I feel like, although I will totally give it a chance, that I am very very reluctant to support this. The original characters of Whoopi Goldberg and Kathy Najimi are what made the film. They were fun and exciting and just plain nice. I worry about remakes loosing the lightness and enjoyment of the original films. I have found quite a few remakes lost their original excitement!

So if you are a supporter, please let me know why. I know from the Mary Sue's article the main reason for excitement is the possibility of a well diverse female cast. But I believe that there are so many amazing modern writers out there (and quite a few of them women) that we could have found an original story line that supported such a cast. Heck look at Pitch Perfect. That was an amazing strong female cast with an original idea. Why can't we have more of them??

Until next time.
Keep on, Geekin' on.
Angie


Source: The Mary Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment