Thursday, June 25, 2015

Costume Prep: Beginnings

So con season is upon us and the usual costume confusion has started. So I thought I would go through my current costume process with you. (image: Martell)

My current convention prep is for Fan Expo Canada. This year, for the first time in a while due to kids and life, I am actually able to attend all 4 days. I have bought the tickets, booked the hotel room and am now starting on gathering the last items and sewing the things I need.

In all honesty I would love to be one of those people who are on the ball enough to have their costumes completed with lots of time for alterations, but I am not. I work a full time job, am a full time mom and have 3 (sucker for punishment) blogs I write for. I am also an artist, a side photographer and involved in regular geeky things with my friends. So my days and weekends book up pretty fast.

This year for Con season I actually managed to book the day off before the con, this will hopefully allow me to do all my last minute prep. As much as I would like to think that it'll all be done before then, I know better. So the Wednesday will be getting everything sorted and sewing the few odds and ends that I need to.

So far I have two costumes in my roster that I definitely will make. I have a plan for a more elaborate for Saturday and a less elaborate for Friday. I have not decided if I will be dressing up on Thursday or Sunday yet, but that may happen yet.

My first costume will be an evil Snow White. I am using my own drawing as inspiration:
I designed this version of Snow White within a series of Evil/Alternate Princesses. To create this I have found an awesome corset pattern from Butterick.

This is a picture from the pattern B5935. As happens with all costume creation I purchase a pattern that is close to what I'm looking for. It may not be exact but with some modifications it will work. The above pattern has the right form and shape I want to use. I am not planning on adding boning because that doesn't usually work for me (a full day in a boned corset would be so painful, my hats off to those of you that can handle it). This gives me the foundation. The Skirt will be made with material and Tulle.

There's one thing to remember when making a costume based on a picture that you draw, and that is to remember it's based. When I have the costume completed it may not look EXACTLY like the drawing but it will still have the same feel. I am planning on making the Dwarf heads from material and hanging them by my belt from their beards. This will give me the "evil" feel I'm looking for. I'm still debating on adding poison apples or something, but I haven't decided.

The easier costume comes from the inspiration of Roller Derby Cosplays. Looking around online I found some awesome Cosplays:
The above image was found on Fashionably Geek. I love these girls and was so excited that they didn't actually wear REAL roller skates. I love the idea of Roller Derby but I'm so not wearing real skates at a Con... I'm just klutz enough to knock over a booth or something. Instead the glued wheels to the shoes are an amazing idea.

What I've got so far is this:
Source: Hot Topic
Wandering the mall this past weekend I found one of these and was SO Excited. I already have the helmet and just need to make a pantie to cover it. I already know how to make that, and what I want to do for the rest of the costume. I am very excited about this. I have been wanting to do a cosplay derby version and I think a Derby Cap Crossplay would be awesome.

So that's my beginnings of the Con Prep. I'll keep you posted on the progress of sewing! I am very excited about these two costumes getting going. I am still debating on a Steampunk cosplay or a My Little Pony one (to do with my daughter) but I haven't figured those out yet. If you are getting you costumes together I would love to hear about your progress and inspiration.

Until next time.
Keep on, Geekin' on.
Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment