Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Convention Prep: Cosplay


Lately I have found time has been flying like crazy. Not only is it actually June already (where did May go) but we are now into Full swing for Convention season. I don't know about anyone else but I feel like I have fallen WAY behind on my costume creation for upcoming cons. In order not to overwhelm myself I decided to share with you my list of things to do and not to do, so I don't stress out.  (image: Fan Expo Canada)
1) You don't need a costume every day (or any day for that matter)!

As someone who's just getting into Cosplay more fully I keep needing to remind myself that there are days at the con (especially Thursday and Sunday) that are shorter and a costume is not needed. Not only that, I need to remember that if I don't get the costumes done that I was planning the world (or con in this case) isn't going to end. There is no big issue if I am unable to get my costumes completed. It is something fun and not something that is serious.

2) I am Cosplaying for me, not for anyone else.

When you start getting into Cosplay you start researching and realize that there are some amazing Coslayer's out there. Well, I keep reminding myself I am new to this. Each time I make a costume it will get better. There is no need for me to compare myself to professional or seasoned cosplayers. I am not doing this to impress them at all I am creating these costumes for myself and for the fun of it! So have fun with it.

3) There may be other people with similar costumes or the same character.

When you start making costumes you always have a want to be original or authentic (at least to some extent). I have realized that that is not necessary. When it comes to fandom there are A LOT of people that love the same types of fandom as you do. So that means there is a good chance that there would be other people who make costumes of you favourite characters as well. Don't stress, it's not a wedding or prom, there's no need to make sure you have a unique costume. Instead, embrace the possibility and you may make new geek friends who are interested in the same things as you.

4) Easy Cosplay can be just as good as difficult costumes.

We have all seen them, the suits of Armour or corseted wonders that take 500 man hours to create. They are beautiful and impressive and hot and uncomfortable. If you are making a costume like that you are expecting a long and tiring day but it can be so worth it. But they are not always needed. Some of the best cosplay's I've seen are simple but they have the feel of the character down. Some are "odes" to a geekdom or a loved character, some are straight up things that you can find in you closet and add only a hat or a bow tie. There is no hierarchy of cosplay! Where what you can afford, feel comfortable with, and don't stress.

5) Have fun.

This is not your job. This is not you livelihood. You are cosplaying (or at least I am) because you love something so much you want to show it to the world. You want to honour your beloved characters or fandom. Or maybe you are just obsessed with Halloween (as a lot of us are) and this gives you an excuse to dress up more than once in a year. Whatever the reason, have fun with it. Remember we are not all models. I am one of the WORST at posing in costume (mostly I tend to grin like a fool cause I'm so happy). But I have come to accept that it's fun and I will keep doing it as long as I'm having fun and enjoying it. If it ever comes to a point where I'm so stressed with costumes or cons that I don't enjoy them anymore then I will stop dressing up. Until then you can usually find me somewhere in Fan Expo Canada.  Dressing up and having fun.

I hope this helps you anxieties like it does mine.
Until next time.
Keep on, Geekin' on.
Angie


No comments:

Post a Comment