Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Animated Wednesday!


A collection of some of my favourite Animated shows.

In honour of the IGGPPC theme for the month of April of Animation. I thought I should share some of my favourite Animated shows for all those out there to watch!

I thought I'd start with Avatar, and no not the blue people one, the original Avatar The Last Airbender (pic above). This is one of those series I watched religiously on YTV then bought the WHOLE series on DVD afterwards. I have re-watched it a few times and every time I love it more. If you haven't watched it the base premise as per Google:
  1. "The world is divided into four nations -- the Water Tribe, the Earth Kingdom, the Fire Nation and and the Air Nomads -- each represented by a natural element for which the nation is named. Benders have the ability to control and manipulate the element from their nation. Only the Avatar is the master of all four elements. The ruthless Fire Nation wants to conquer the world but the only bender who has enough power, the Avatar, has disappeared ... until now. His tribe soon discovers that Aang is the long-lost Avatar. Now Katara and Sokka must safeguard Aang on his journey to master all four elements and save the world from the Fire Nation."
What they don't say is that they are all kids that go on a journey, sometimes it's hilarious (because kids you know) other times it's a little scarier. The nice thing is it's never so scary that littler kids can't enjoy it. To get all mushy feely it's a commentary of a society (or individual group of people) that decide that the rest of the people would be better off under their rule/decision making. Through the series you learn the importance of diversity and that differences in culture and thought are a good thing. Really the main statement is "why can't we all just get along".

from HERE
I love Sokka! I actually really like most of the characters! The fact that although (as typical friends) there is always one more serious, one more goofy and one more easy going either way, they all have the opportunity to be fun and silly, as well to be serious and a major role in the final battle. I think my favourite part is that even the non-benders have a part to play, instead of being one of those shows where those with powers get all the important roles. I feel like it gives hope to those of us normal people and also shows that EVERYONE has a role to play if you let them and give them a chance. I have to admit I am a bad Avatar fan being I haven't had a chance to watch the Legend of Korra yet. I will definitely let you know when I do.

Oky, enough preening on Avatar. The next one I thought I'd discuss is Teen Titans!
Pic from HERE
Teen titans has become a staple in my household. This is a favourite of my 4 year old (and of me too), it has resulted in many a tear before bedtime because she wants to watch "Just One MORE!". I love all superhero movies and TV shows but this is one of those cartoons that I can't help but love. There is some typical fighting bad guys and stuff, as all Superhero comics have, but the Teenage interactions can't help but make you love them. The boys have a habit of playing videos games, talking loud and leaving messes. Starfire is always more than nice and Raven is always less than patient. Really I think the appeal is it reminds me of most University roommate situations (maybe only mine LOL). Either way it's a fun television show that can introduce kids to the idea of Superhero's and Comics. 

The last one that I find is a pretty fun TV show, is insanely popular and will NEVER GO AWAY is Pokemon. 

Movies, and games, and TV Shows. Pokemon is an ever growing powerhouse. It's a series that with some ingenuity and creativity can last forever. Every year I hear of new kids discovering the awesomeness of Pokemon and what I find the coolest is that most of the actually start by watching the original television series. I have always loved the series with Ash and Misty and Brock. I know there are a few other variations and spin offs, but they never seem to have quite the same feel as the original. I know that part of it is the snottiness of Pikachu, who doesn't want a pet/friend that electrocutes you fairly frequently. 

The Compendium of Pokemon has gotten crazy, by the Pokedex online it says they are up to 720... yes I said that right SEVEN HUNDRED AND TWENTY!!! This gives kids a HUGE opportunity to fall in love with one character or another... the staples like Pikachu and Jiggly Puff, or the newest like Diancie. Aside from the individual pokemon I still love the show. I think my favourite characters in the original Pokemon are Team Rocket. They are meant to be bad guys but really they are the worst bad guys ever! 

Well if you haven't check out any of the above I think you totally should. 
Leave me a comment and tell me what you think.

I will leave you with the original comic strip of Wednesday Addams for our Wednesday. 



Until next time. 
Keep on, Geekin' on. 
Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment