Monday, October 3, 2016

Spoiler Free Movie Review: The Magnificent Seven

This past weekend I was lucky enough to have a babysitter (thank you Grandma) so that I could actually go to the movies. For the first time since Suicide Squad I have to say I really loved the movie. (image; MGM)


Okay, here's your warning... I will (as always) attempt to make this spoiler free, but sometimes things that are minor and you don't think are a big deal give it away. So if you are sensitive or easy at predicting things feel free not to read this until you've seen the movie. Otherwise continue on!

It has been ages since I've watched a Western. There was a time when I was little that every Sunday we would watch Westerns or B-Rated Martial Arts Movies (usually they were poorly dubbed or had subtitles). This was one of those things that you loved and hated at the same time. Of course being a teenager or younger I wasn't always that interested in either (usually I was more interested in the Martial Arts movies than the Westerns) but it doesn't mean I didn't watch them. I actually really liked them, and I also likes that is was a good excuse to hang out with my Dad and eat junk food.

This movie totally brought all those feelings of nostalgia back for me. There will always be the neigh-sayers but I have to say, don't worry about them. As usual I stick to the idea of going into a movie expecting it to be lame or bad, but entertaining, and therefore being pleasantly surprised when it's better than that.


The cast was awesome! I'm not going to get too much into the characters but there were a few members of the cast that I was so happy to see. For one, I love Chris Pratt. He plays slight comedic relief really well. In this movie I felt he resembled Harris Ford more than I've found in any of his other movies.

My favourite character is not who you may think it is though. No it's not Chris Pratt nor Denzel Washington... it has to be Byung-hun Lee. His character totally gives me the happy's on the Martial Arts front as well as the Western front.

I also was so happy that this movie had people playing characters from the culture that they actually are! Yes, Indigenous man playing indigenous people... no painted face... no people who are pretending to be something they aren't even close to being. This made me so so happy.

So all in all (without getting into the whole thing) I really really enjoyed this movie.

If you've watched it I'd love to hear what you think!

Until next time.
Keep on, Geekin' on.
Sylvanfire

No comments:

Post a Comment