Wednesday, July 13, 2016

The Legend of Tarzan: A Review


I'm back and so not refreshed. Tonight I went to Tarzan as a little break from the house and actually enjoyed it. So I thought I'd do a little review for your pleasure. (image: WB)

I have read the reviews... well, mostly I have avoided them. But I have to say I don't care about other people's reviews in general. There have been quite a few movies that people said weren't great but I totally loved (and some that were highly recommended that I couldn't stand). Tarzan was one that I went into with a minimal interest and so I wasn't expecting it to be as good as it was.

I will state this (as I usually do) that although I will try and avoid spoilers I may say something that will make someone upset... so if you don't want to read about it stop now! You have been warned!!!

Tarzan starts out (as we were expecting being it's not an origin story) in the US with Tarzan living in a grand house with Jane. Of course they get drawn back to the jungle and then from there it's all swinging and fighting and lots of abs.

Okay, so instead of a play by play (which I totally hate in reviews), I'm going to talk about one thing that I really liked in the movie... JANE!

Yes, the view was wonderful... with muscles and abs and all that stuff... but I was really impressed with Jane. So often the female in the movie of men is so wimpy that you wonder how such a strong man ends up with her... well Jane is not.

There is even a line in the film where she asks if he wants her to scream like a damsel... and then spits at the bad guy. I was like "You go girl!"

She is tough, and willing to be Tarzan's equal in many ways. No, she can't swing on vines herself but seriously who can. Instead she's tough and makes fun of corsets and what the establishment would expect of a diplomat's wife. If nothing else this made the movie for me. She fights back (and almost wins) a few times and if she had her way she'd save herself.

So my review is... go see it. Don't expect some amazing plot crap... it's an action movie, when did people stop enjoying them for being just fun and full of excitement. I don't go to these movies for a deeply depressing experience (like Intersteller... seriously most depressing movie ever) instead I like the escapism of them. Something fun and exciting and maybe a few explosions. This totally delivered.

Did you see Tarzan? Will you? Why do you want to go to the movies??

Until next time.
Keep on, Geekin' on.
Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment