Tuesday, May 5, 2015

A Loonie Toonie

Today the Canadian mint has released a series of silver coins as an Ode to the Looney Tunes. I though we should have a look at them.
I have loved the Looney Tunes since I was a little kids. As a kid growing up in the 80's/90's the Looney Tunes were a staple in my weekly cartoon watching. (Yes weekly, we did not watch TV daily at that time). I was a HUGE fan of everything Marvin the Martian and Wile E. Coyote but as a little girl they never had stuff for girls with Marvin or Wile. Now that I'm older I tend to find things for my kids (like avenger gear) that is meant in the "Boy" stuff but I buy it for my Girls. I have decided that cool things are not gender specific. Today the Canadian Mint has released a series of commemorative coins with Looney Tunes, they stated that this is the first batch. I guess they are releasing more in the coming months.

The Canadian Mint has a nice selection of these commemorative silver coins available. Some are in sets like this one:
I love the mixture of colours onto the silver coins. Also it comes with a collectible wrist watch with your purchase of the case and a minimum of the three coins. All the coins above are 1oz of 99.99% Pure silver and from the site the subscription cost starts at $109.95. The prices range for the variety of coins listed depends on the size of the coin and the number of coins in the collection. From what it appears the most expensive of the coins is a 1KG, 102.1 diameter, 250 dollar value coin that has a the major character pantheon.

As you can see there is a beautiful enamel colour in Bugs' Ears and face. On the site it states that the enamel is hand painted... so that's pretty cool. And the cost of this item, you may ask? The cost of this coin is $2350.95... yup you read that right! I guess you would need to put this in a very safe spot or have it displayed somewhere.

I think these are a beautiful collector piece if you are a big Looney Tunes fan. The ownership of a real silver dollars is an interesting concept. (I would feel like a Pirate) I have known of a few people who have spent money on Silver Dollars as a display piece or collectible, but I don't think any of them would spend over $2000 for one. Either way, if you could afford them they are very pretty.

At first I failed to notice a Marvin the Martian on any of the coins, and as my favourite (I have never been a big Bugs Bunny fan), I was a little disappointed. But low and behold I found a Marvin the Martian in the 1/2oz coins... and of course he has his little spy glass too. The 1/2 oz coins aren't nearly as much, running at $49.95. That I could possibly afford.

Well I hope you like this Canadian coin edition of SGeeky (The made me feel like a Radio Announcer). I was very excited to see these coins and more excited to share them with you.

Until Next Time.
Keep on, Geekin' on.
Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment